Questo sito usa cookie per fornirti un'esperienza migliore. Proseguendo la navigazione accetti l'utilizzo dei cookie da parte nostra OK





The Consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request other documents in addition to those submitted by the applicant. The latter is hereby informed that submitting the documents specified below does not guarantee issuance of the visa.


Important notice for visa applicants:

Please be aware that when you request your Permesso di Soggiorno (Permit of Stay) in Italy, you may be asked to produce copies of the entire documentation submitted for the visa.

Documents check-list

  • Visa Application Form for long term stay (91 to 365 days).
    Visa Application Form for short term stay (1 to 90 days).
    Please notice that all the names appearing on the passport must  appear on the application form (all data must match those on the passport). The form must be dated and signed in front of a Visa Officer at the Consulate General or, if mailed, only in front of the Honorary Consul/Consular Correspondent (not Notary Public). For minor applicants, please consult appropriate link on website;
  • Recent passport-size photograph (1.2”x1.5” or 3x4 cm), on white background, full face and front view, stapled/glued to the application form. Scanned or photocopied photos will NOT be accepted;
  • Valid passport plus 1 copy of the page with photograph and expiration date. The passport or travel document must be valid at least three months after the visa expiration date. Please make sure the passport has at least two blank pages to affix the visa;
  • For non-US citizens: original and copy of Permanent Residence Card or other US immigration document allowing re-entry into the United States (e.g., valid long-term US, Advanced Parole, etc.). The US Residence permit or visa should be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the Schengen territory. International students must also submit original and copy of F-1 Visa and valid re-entry ("travel") signature on I-20. Please provide copy of old passport if US visa is affixed there;
  • Original and copy of Driver’s License or State ID as proof of residence in the jurisdiction of this Consulate General. Full-time students may also use original and copy of Student ID. If you recently moved and have not updated your ID, you must submit another proof of current address (e.g., utility bills, bank statements, etc.);
  • Original and copy of the official letter of acceptance from an accredited academic institution in Italy. The letter, on the institution’s letterhead, must be addressed to the Consulate General of Italy and specify the period of study, the full-time enrollment (at least 20 hours per week), and if tuition and room/board are covered in full.
  • For Study Abroad students: original and copy of letter of enrollment from home academic institution addressed to the Consulate General of Italy, indicating the student’s current status (full-time in good standing) and expected date of graduation. This letter must be accompanied by the letter of acceptance into the Study Abroad Program (original an copy), when this is sponsored by a different US College or University;
  • For non-Study Abroad students: original letter from home academic institution addressed to the Consulate General of Italy indicating the student's current status and expected date of graduation. If no longer studying, provide copy of transcript. In addition you must show proof of payment in full of the course you will attend in Italy and proof of accommodation;
  • For enrollment in Italian Universities for "Corsi di Laurea" or "Corsi Singoli": before you can apply for the study visa, you must have complied with the regulations on Universities pre-enrollment registration, posted on this website under Consular Services/Students/University enrollment;
  • For Internship: applicants must present in original and copy an INTERNSHIP PROJECT (Progetto Formativo e di Orientamento), drawn up by the hosting Italian company or organization  (Soggetto Ospitante) and formally approved by the competent Regional or Provincial Office (Soggetto Promotore) on the basis of an existing agreement (Convenzione di Tirocinio). The Progetto Formativo must conform to the guidelines found in the Ministerial Decree n. 142 of 25 March 1998 (Decreto Interministeriale n. 142 del 25 marzo 1998 per Tirocini formativi e di orientamento). Study/Internships Visas can only be issued in the presence of available yearly quotas.
  • Proof of financial means. A bank statement or a letter from a US banking institution, on the bank’s letterhead, signed by a bank official and with a recent date, indicating account balance (a minimum of $ 1000.00 per each month of stay in Italy is required). Students who receive financial aid must present an official letter from their University stating amount of aid and time of disbursement;
  • Affidavit of Support. If the applicant doesn’t have own funds because supported by the parents, one or both parents must submit an affidavit of support with the bank statement (see Proof of financial means). The Affidavit must be signed in front of the Visa Officer if the parents come with the applicant to the interview, or notarized by a Notary Public;
  • Proof of health insurance coverage abroad as follows:
    • Certificate issued by the health insurance company or by the Study Abroad Program, stating that the student has minimum coverage of $50,000 for hospitalization, emergencies, evacuation and repatriation; 
    • Affidavit of Overseas Health Insurance This statement  must be signed by the student in front of the Visa Officer or notarized;
  • Proof of lodging if not included in the letter of acceptance from the Italian Institution;
  • Confirmed flight reservation for a round trip. If your stay is longer than 6 months, you can present a one-way ticket together with proof of available funds for the purchase of the return ticket;
  • Return envelope: required in the event that applicants cannot collect the passport with the visa in person. Please provide envelope of UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICES EXPRESS MAIL or PRIORITY MAIL with a tracking number, pre-paid and self-addressed.


Please note: This Consulate General reserves the right to request further documentation.

Updated May 2013