Questo sito usa cookie per fornirti un'esperienza migliore. Proseguendo la navigazione accetti l'utilizzo dei cookie da parte nostra OK

Matrimoni Italia


Matrimoni Italia

Informazioni per cittadini USA che desiderano contrarre matrimonio in Italia (solo in inglese)

U.S. couples wishing to get married in Italy must appear, with two witnesses, before the Ufficiale di Stato Civile (Registrar) of the city/town where the marriage is to take place and file a declaration of intent to marry. This process is similar to applying for a marriage license in the U.S. 

Civil ceremonies are performed by the Ufficiale di Stato Civile or their proxy.
Religious ceremonies, performed by Roman Catholic clergy, do not require a separate civil ceremony. Once the ceremony has been performed, the clergy will register the marriage with the local vital records office.


U.S. citizens must submit the following documents to the Ufficiale di Stato Civile when applying for a declaration of intent to marry in Italy:
1. US passports (U.S. Armed Forces personnel must submit military ID);
2. certified long form copy of birth certificates for the bride and groom, duly legalized with the Apostille and Translated into Italian;
3. Evidence of termination of any previous marriage (final divorce or annulment decrees or death certificates);
4. for anyone under the age of 18, the authorization from the Minor Court is needed;
5. Affidavit from U.S. legal authority certifying there are no impediments to the marriage under U.S. law.

Since there is no federal registry of marriages in the United States, requirement n. 5 is fulfilled by providing BOTH the following affidavits: 

a) Affidavit signed before a U.S. Consular Officer in Italy, in which applicants declare that there are no impediments to their marriage under U.S. law.  In this case applicants must contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in Italy for an appointment prior to departing the United States (for a list visit this website) and submit the following documents to the U.S. Consular Officer:
1. proof of U.S. citizenship: passport/naturalization certificate, or birth certificate evidencing birth in the United States;
2. U.S. Armed Forces personnel must also submit a consent to the marriage from their Commanding officer;

b) Affidavit signed by two witnesses (no family) before an Italian Consular Office in the U.S. OR before an authorized Agency in Italy (Pretura, Mayor, local public registrar, notary), in which the witnesses declare that “there are no impediments to the marriage under the U.S. law”. 

U.S. citizens planning to be wed in Italy are encouraged to obtain the “Atto Notorio” before leaving the United States in order to avoid any problem associated with locating two witnesses able to sign the Affidavit (Atto Notorio).

To apply for an Atto Notorio with this Consulate, please send an email with a copy of the following documentation to Please be informed that this document is valid for a maximum of 90 days.

  • Atto notorio request form;
  • Bride and Groom’s certified copies of birth certificates duly legalized with the Apostille;
  • Italian translation of the above birth certificates;
  • Photocopies of Bride and Groom’s U.S. passports and driver’s license;
  • Photocopies of the two witnesses driver’s licenses;
  • Fees: Fees must be paid in US Dollars. Please contact this office to check the current fees.