This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

tourist visa


tourist visa

(Type C Visa for short-stay, up to 90 days)

The Consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request other documents in addition to those submitted by the applicant. The latter is hereby informed that submitting the documents specified below does not guarantee issuance of the visa.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. All applicants must apply in person. Rush processing is not possible.
Non US-applicants: Only holders of Permanent Residence Card (former green card), valid long-term US visa (except B1/B2), or other pertinent document issued as proof that you can re-enter the US (such as Advanced Parole document) may apply.

Visas issued by a Schengen country allow the holder to travel freely, for tourism, business and study purposes,  in the whole Schengen territory

Documents check-list

  • Visa application form. Please notice that all the names appearing on the passport must  appear on the application form (all data must match those on the passport). The form must be dated and signed in front of a Visa Officer. For minor applicants, please visit appropriate link on website;
  • Recent passport-size photograph (1.2”x1.5” or 3x4 cm), on white background, full face and front view, stapled/glued to the application form. Scanned or photocopied photos will NOT be accepted;
  • Valid passport plus 1 copy of the page with photograph and expiration date. The passport or travel document must be valid at least three months after the visa expiration date. Please make sure the passport is no older than 10 years and has at least two blank pages to affix the visa;
  • Original plus 1 copy of Permanent Residence Card OR other US immigration document allowing re-entry into the United States (e.g., valid long-term US visa, Advanced Parole, etc.). The US Residence permit or visa should be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the Schengen territory. International students must submit original and copy of F-1 Visa and valid re-entry ("travel") signature on I-20. Please provide copy of old passport if Us visa is affixed there;
  • Original plus 1 copy of Driver’s License or State ID as proof of residence in the jurisdiction of this Consulate General. Full-time students may also use original and copy of Student ID. If you recently moved and have not updated your ID, you must submit another proof of current address (e.g., utility bills, bank statements, etc.);
  • Copies of most recent Schengen Visas in your passport, along with entry/exit stamps from Schengen Border Authorities. Please provide copy of old passport if previous visas are affixed there;
  • Copies of all the visas needed for the current trip;
  • Employment verification:
    Letter of employment
    , indicating: position held, length of employment, most recent monthly or annual salary (recent pay stubs may also be added), approved vacation time;
    For self-employed workers or company owners: copy of the corporation papers or State license plus most recent tax return;
    For students: official school letter stating full-time enrollment; 
    For pensioner: copy of pension certificate or a letter of previous employer or a pension check stub or confirmation from the responsible authority about the amount of pension; 
  • Proof of financial means. Applicants must submit the three most recent bank statements from a US banking institution. Dependents must submit relevant documentation of the family member sponsoring the trip with an Affidavit of Support. The financial requirements may also be satisfied by a Bank Guarantee (Fidejussione Bancaria) submitted in original plus copy by the inviting person in Italy (find Host Declaration or Lettera di Invito under “forms”). Table for calculating means of support required to enter Italian national territory for tourism;
  • Verification of Medical Coverage Abroad for the entire period of travel in the Schengen area with a minimum coverage of $50,000 for hospitalization, emergencies, evacuation and repatriation. Make sure that these 4 benefits are itemized on the policy issued by your current US Health Insurance company (insurance card alone is not sufficient), or by a US Travel Insurance company. If your US insurance provider cannot issue a letter specifying the above, we suggest you contact a travel insurance company which will be able to do so;
  • Proof of lodging for the entire duration of the trip and for all the countries you intend to visit. Please submit one of the following:
    Confirmed hotel reservations with name and address of hotels, name and number of guests, duration of stay. For cruises or other organized trips, provide official itinerary or vouichers with places visited, number of days in each location, and type of accommodation;
    Host declaration duly filled out, dated and signed by the host and accompanied by copy of hosts’ ID and, when needed, copy of a valid Permesso di soggiorno (Residence Permit);
  • Confirmed flight reservation for a round trip showing complete itinerary. If you visit more than one Schengen country, please provide means of transportation between countries;
  • Visa fee (under Consular Fees on homepage): (non refundable). This Consulate can only accept Money Orders or Cashier's checks, payable to the Consulate General of Italy in Chicago, with applicant's name and address as the remitter. Cash or Personal checks will not be accepted;
  • Return envelope: required in the event that applicants cannot collect the passport with the visa in person. Please provide envelope of UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICES EXPRESS MAIL or PRIORITY MAIL, UPS, FED-Ex with a tracking number, pre-paid and self-addressed.
  • Consent to send by mail

Please note: This Consulate General reserves the right to request further documentation.