This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Study Minor


Study Minor

(For students between 14 and 18 years of age)

This type of visa can only be issued to students between the age of 14 and 18 who participate in Student Exchange Programs officially approved by the Italian Authorities (Ministero degli Affari Esteri – Direzione Generale per la Promozione e Cooperazione Culturale).

Documents check-list

  • Visa Application Form submitted and signed in person by both parents in front of a Consular Officer. Please note that both biological parents (as it appears on the applicant's birth certificate) must sign. If one of them cannot be present, please contact this Visa Office;
  • Recent passport-size photograph (1.2”x1.5” or 3x4 cm), on white background, full face and front view, stapled/glued to the application form. Scanned or photocopied photos will NOT be accepted;
  • Valid passport plus 1 copy of the page with photograph and expiration date. The passport or travel document must be valid at least three months after the visa expiration date. Please make sure the passport has at least two blank pages to affix the visa;
  • For non-US citizens: original and copy of Permanent Residence Card or other US immigration document allowing re-entry into the United States (e.g. valid long-term US visa, Advanced Parole, etc.). International students must submit original and copy of F-1 Visa and valid re-entry ("travel") signature on I-20; 
  • Copy of Student ID as proof of the applicant’s residence in the jurisdiction of this Consulate General;
  • Applicant’s Birth Certificate in original and copy. Please note that all foreign documents must be translated into English and the translations must be legalized in the US by the Consular Authorities of the country that issued the document;
  • Copy of picture IDs of both parents. In the event that the mother’s last name differs from what appears on the applicant’s birth certificate, please provide copy of parents’ marriage certificate;
  • Letter from the US High School, aknowledging that the student is going to Italy as an Exchange Student; 
  • Official documentation in Italian provided by the Student Exchange Program (original and copy) including: letter of enrollment in the Italian school for the exchange period; letter of acceptance and declaration of responsibility from the Italian hosting family; proof of financial support; proof of international health insurance; etc. Please contact your sponsoring organization or Italian host club for any assistance;
  • Proof of financial means. The three most recent bank statements or a letter from a US banking institution, on the bank’s letterhead, signed by a bank official and with a recent date, indicating account balance (a minimum of $ 800.00 per each month of stay in Italy is required). Students who receive financial aid must present an official letter from their University stating amount of aid and time of disbursement;
  • Affidavit of Support. If the applicant doesn’t have own funds because supported by the parents, one or both parents must submit an affidavit of support with the bank statement as mentioned above. The Affidavit must be signed in front of the Visa Officer if the parents come with the applicant to the interview, or notarized by a Notary Public;
  • Authorization to travel signed by both parents;
  • Confirmed flight reservation for a round trip;
  • Return envelope: required in the event that applicants cannot collect the passport with the visa in person. Please provide envelope of UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICES EXPRESS MAIL or PRIORITY MAIL with a tracking number, pre-paid and self-addressed.
  • Consent to send by mail


Please note: This Consulate General reserves the right to request further documentation.